The death toll in a suicide bombing which targeted a Shia Muslim procession near the northern Nigerian city of Kano on Friday has risen to 22 after one more person was confirmed dead.
The death toll in a suicide bombing which targeted a Shia Muslim procession near the northern Nigerian city of Kano on Friday has risen to 22 after one more person was confirmed dead, one of the organizers said Saturday.
"For now, we have 22 deaths following the death of one more person yesterday. Thirty-eight people have also been injured, two of whom have been discharged from the hospital," Ali Kakaki told AFP.
Kakaki said that, despite the attack on Friday, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria members had continued their march from Kano to Zaria in neighboring Kaduna state, where their leader Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky is based.
The participants were commemorating Arbaeen which marks 40 days after the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the grandson of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).
"Following the attack, many more of our members have joined the procession," Kakaki said, adding that they aimed to arrive at their destination next week.
Friday's attack took place in the village of Dakasoye, some 20 kilometers south of the city of Kano.
One of the procession's organizers said a bomber clad in black ran into the crowd and detonated his explosives.
Boko Haram, the Takfiri group has previously been blamed for attacks on Shia Muslims in the region.
Boko Haram’s six-year insurgency has left at least 17,000 people dead and made more than 2.6 million homeless.